Founded in 2009, Sustainable Table, is a not-for-profit organisation working to build an engaged community of people who want to learn about, connect with, and build upon the resilience and regenerative capacity of our food-system.
By fostering collaboration, designing challenging and creative events and campaigns; running Mt Martha Farmers’ Market; delivering Ripe for Change – a place-based collaborative funding model that supports food system innovation; and sharing stories and educational content, Sustainable Table is empowering people to overcome today’s environmental challenges, one meal at a time.
Our organisation has entered a period of growth and we are seeking to capitalise on this momentum by engaging a dedicated Communications Specialist who can take on the day-to-day responsibilities of nurturing and growing our audience.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a Digital Communications Specialist with good knowledge of sustainable and ethical food systems to join our team. We envisage this role will drive a communications strategy that better engages our existing audience as well as growing our reach to mainstream audiences through our social media channels, campaigns and other communications work.
The successful candidate will be comfortable distilling complex information about farming, sustainable and ethical food choices, seasonal eating, zero-waste living, the humane treatment of animals and other food-system information and delivering it in a simple, conversational and friendly manner that is appropriate to a wide variety of audiences.
At Sustainable Table we pride ourselves on being agile, transparent, and non-corporate in approach. We try our darndest to be approachable and non-judgmental. We believe it is our role to equip people with the knowledge to make better choices whilst respecting that people must do things at their own pace and within their own ethical framework.
We look forward to better capturing and enacting our ethos in the way we communicate across the whole organisation, and hope you’d like to support us in that!
THE DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST WILL:
- Work with the General Manager to develop a targeted marketing and communications strategy centred around growth, engagement, accuracy of content and return on investment
- Manage Sustainable Table’s website and database growth and content
- Schedule content and grow engagement across social media platforms and other communications channels
- Develop a strategy for donor growth and engagement
- Review Sustainable Table’s workshop and public speaking offering, including return on investment and effective rollout
- Support the organisation to develop effective impact measures around engagement and behaviour change
- Support the establishment of complementary behaviour change campaigns, including the possibility of re-establishing Give a Fork!
- Support the communication goals of other Sustainable Table programs, such as Ripe for Change and Mt Martha Farmers’ Market
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES + QUALIFICATIONS
We are seeking a bright, friendly and passionate communicator to join our team in this newly created role. There will be much scope to make the role your own and bring your own personality and style of the role, both in delivery and written form. You will be working closely with the General Manager/Co-founder who has juggled much of the communications load until now, so you will need to be comfortable to support the transition of work and have the ability to build trust with various stakeholders both internal and external, moving forward.
- Degree or proven experience in Communications, Marketing, Digital Marketing, Journalism or similar related field
- 10+ years’ experience in communications
- Strong verbal and written communicator with impeccable attention to detail
- Interest and knowledge of metrics, engagement measures and ideas around loyalty and behaviour change
- Good knowledge of food systems and the environment
- Strong skills in social media growth, engagement and storytelling
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite
- Media experience
- Passionate about all things food and food production, and takes great pleasure in discussing foodie experiencing in minute detail
- Living the ethos of Sustainable Table i.e. low-waste, farmers’ market loving, wholefood-loving person with just enough hypocrisy to make you human and relatable
- Good working knowledge of MailChimp and WordPress
- Graphic design skills or competent in using Canva or similar platform
- Experience working as part of a small team
HOW TO APPLY
Applications now closed, thank you.